There aren’t too many instances where I’ll pass on a good chowder. This Vegan Chickpea Vegetable Chowder recipe by Running On Real Food is no exception. As rare as it is to come across a vegan chowder recipe I was elated when I found this one. For me it’s perfect any time of year for lunch or dinner. It’s thick, hearty, delectable and satisfying. Best of all, it’s super easy to prepare.
- 1 heaping cup chopped white onion (175 g)
- 1 cup chopped celery (150 g)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp each dried thyme and oregano
- 2 heaping cups peeled and diced yellow potatoes (340 g)
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots (300 g)
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (approx. 2 cups, 330 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup lightly packed, finely chopped parsley
- Cook the onions, garlic and celery in a soup pot with 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth for about 5 minutes. Add more broth if needed so it’s doesn’t stick.
- Add the oregano and thyme, stir and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the parsley and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Transfer about 1/2 of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the parsley and serve right away. Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Have you tried this Vegan Chickpea Vegetable Chowder recipe? How did you like it?