Some herbal tea and these Vegan Black and White Cookies by Aris Menu are a match made in heaven. I absolutely love black and white cookies. So when I found this recipe I was stoked. These cookies are everything that a black and white cookie should be. They have perfect crunch to moistness ratio. They’re just sweet enough. Best of all, they make an excellent guilt-free sweet treat indulgence.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups whole wheat cake flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- dash salt
- 1 and 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tbsp hot water
- 1 and 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- In large mixing bowl, combine sugar and applesauce and extracts until combined.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cornstarch and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients into applesauce mixture, followed by milk, then remaining dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Use a small cookie scoop to drop the dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 15-18 minutes until edges begin to brown. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place powdered sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Slowly, mix in hot water 1 tbsp at a time, until icing has reached your desired consistency. Be careful—a little bit of liquid goes a long way with powdered sugar!
- Spread icing on half of the flat (bottom) side of each cookie. Once all cookie halves have been half frosted, add melted chocolate to remaining frosting. To make the “black” darker, you may add in 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa if desired. If icing appears too thick, add an other tbsp. of hot water.
- Frost the remaining half of the cookies with the chocolate frosting. If icing becomes dry, just whisk in a little bit of extra water—it can dry up pretty quickly, so you may have to do this a few times.
- Let frosting set and serve immediately or store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Have you tried these vegan black and white cookies? How did you like it?