Calzones are delectable any day of the week. This mini calzones recipe by ElephantasicVegan.com is perfect for lunch or a light dinner. It’s quick and easy to make. It’s also customizable. Fill it with anything that you like and enjoy.
For the dough:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
For the filling:
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach
- Homemade Nooch Cheese (or sub with your favorite vegan cheese shreds)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato purée (if you don’t want tomato sauce to dip the Calzones in afterwards, half the amount of tomato purée!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- a few twigs fresh oregano
- olive oil for brushing the top
- For the dough put all ingredients in a kitchen machine or mix by hand and let it rise until it doubles in size, but keep it covered under a clean kitchen towel otherwise the dough will dry out.
- Prepare the Nooch Cheese Sauce.
- Preheat the oven as hot at 480°F/250°C.
- Cut the dough in 8 equal pieces and roll them out on a floured surface.
- Clean the mushrooms and spinach, cut the mushrooms in thin slices and put the mushrooms in a hot pan (You want the mushrooms to lose most of their water now, they shouldn’t water up the calzone later). Add the spinach to let it cook down.
- For the tomato sauce mix the tomato purée with the salt, ground pepper, fresh oregano, onion powder and liquid smoke. (Adjust the sauce to your taste)
- Spread the tomato sauce over half of the calzone pizzas, add the mushroom-spinach mixture and add the vegan cheese sauce.
- Fold the calzone and press it down on the edges. Fold the edges again and a third time to make it pretty! Repeat until all calzones are fold.
- Brush the calzones with a bit of olive oil and bake them in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Have you tried this Mini Calzones recipe? How was it?